I love this Lean Star Lentil Chili recipe from the Fresh Cookbook for cold winter nights when all I want to do is curl up on my couch with a soft blanket and the heater on full blast. Other reasons I love this specific recipe… it is vegetarian friendly, the cumin gives it an extra flavor most chili’s don’t bring to the table, and of course the highlight – it is only 145 calories per serving!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, lentils and tomato puree.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the salt and sugar and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove half of the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree.
- Return the puree to the soup pot and mix well. Check seasonings, adding additional water if necessary.
- Garnish with shredded cheese (I chose low fat cheddar). Optional garnish teaspoon of low fat sour cream. Serve!