Some people may think of chicken as a boring dish to serve at a dinner party, but I beg to differ. Matched with the right ingredients, it can be incredibly flavorful, not to mention look gorgeously decadent… two elements I strive for when impressing my guests.
I was inspired for this Pistachio & Dijon Crusted Chicken Recipe by one of my favorite cookbooks: FRESH Healthy Cooking and Living from the Lake Austin Spa. In FH form, it is health conscious while not skimping on flavor. But what I love the most about this dish is the rich color: the deep yellows from the spicy mustard and the bright greens from the crushed pistachio, makes this dish ideal for matching back to a gorgeous winter flower such as golden yellow daffodils (that bloom in February/March). So if you are looking for a chicken dish with nuts, I recommend whipping this up!
- Four 8 oz boneless chicken breasts (I always opt for hormone free)
- Grainy Dijon Mustard
- Pistachio Nuts (de-shelled)
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 a lemon
- Pam Spray
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Lightly rub your chicken breast with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile to the side, take your pistachios, place the allotted amount in a Ziploc bag and smash. Don’t have a hammer, use a strong utensil like an ice cream scoop.
- Head over to your stove top, turn to medium high heat, place your skillet on top and spray with Pam. Place your chicken on the skillet and begin to cook both sides. Next apply your dijon mustard (easiest to use a marinating brush).
- Apply the vinegar and lemon juice directly on to the chicken on either side.
- Sprinkle your chicken with crushed pistachios, flip and repeat on alternate side.
- Serve on a plate with quinoa and sprinkle a bit of extra pistachio on top! Serve!