November 12, 2012
- • Recipes
I live on bars… Kashi, Luna, Kind Bars… you name it and I probably eat one a day to hold me over between meals, for a sweet-bite after lunch, or as my (hehe) second breakfast. Sometimes I wish I knew exactly what goes into these magical bars (even if they are low fat and filled with “protein” so they say). So, when I came across this Oat Ball recipe (here), I decided it was time to change it up and make some bars (well, balls) of my own. (*And I love that there is Almond butter for an added protein kick!). My only warning… pack them in a sealed Ziploc for travel… a few crumbs are sure to break loose in your purse!
- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins (I did half of each!)
- 1/4 cup unsalted almonds (sliced)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (i used walnuts)
- 1/4 cup agave
- 3/4 cup of almond butter (plus a little more if needed)
- Combine oats, nuts, and raisins in a large mixing bowl.
- Add agave syrup and mix. Then add Almond Butter (1/4 cup at a time) and mix thoroughly. *If the almond butter is really thick, zap in the microwave for 10 seconds prior to pouring.
- Take a measuring cup and scoop 1/3 cups out of the mixture. Place on a baking sheet and shape into a ball. *Add additional almond butter if you have any trouble with them sticking together.
- Stick your baking sheet into the refrigerator (preferably overnight). The next day, pack in a ziploc to go and enjoy.