When it comes to having a clean apartment, I am a bit of a nut job. The bed is always made, I vacuum and wipe down the counter tops multiple times daily, and I loving spending my weekends cleaning my sheets and bleaching my bathroom- NERD ALERT! But seriously, sticky counters, smelly bathrooms, and messy bedrooms are not exactly appropriate when you are inviting guests to your home. So if you want to be a fabulous hostess, it is time to get on the cleaning wagon!
I know that the cleaning aisle of a grocery store can be quite overwhelming; there are millions of cleansers and sprays available for purchase, and of course there is that little voice in your head thinking, “ugh I really just want to find a spray that cleans 10 surfaces at once so I can get out of here and not spend much money.” Well unfortunately there is no ‘one cleanser’ that is perfect for everything, but after much research I have decided that it only requires 5 items to have a perfectly clean home at an economical price.
Cleaning Supplies Checklist:
- Clorox Clean–Up Bleach: great for the bathroom toilet, sink, and tub, and great for the kitchen countertops and inside the fridge (I love that it disinfects while it cleans and whitens your bathtub).
- Windex Original (Streak Free Shine): good for windows, mirrors, glass tables, and bathroom medicine cabinets (and won’t leave residue or streaks behind).
- Pledge Floor Care Clean & Shine Multi-Surface Cleanser: works on wood, ceramic, or vinyl floors (aka- your entire home)
- Swiffer Dust & Shine: cleans, shines, and conditions wood, marble, leather, and granite; good for your couch, countertops, shelves, nightstands, and headboards. I bought it in ‘Lavendar Vanilla’ and it smells amazing!
- Swiffer Wet Jet: works as a duster and mop at once and works on all surfaces; great for bathroom, bedroom, and kitchen.
I always recommend cleaning prior to cooking; and when using the Clorox clean-up bleach, allow for an hour to air out before guests arrive.
** Note: if you have any special woods or pieces of furniture that are antique, consult with someone before applying certain cleaning sprays.