January 28, 2013
These delicious scones are the perfect sweet start to your morning. Whether you have a busy week of work ahead and want to make an easy prepared breakfast to take on the go, or you are planning to host a decadent brunch for friends and want a gorgeous display of home-cooked pastries, these are perfect for either occasion! Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar. (Low-cal substitute: 2 tablespoons granulated Splenda)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces (I used Land O Lakes Light Butter)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (Low-cal substitute again: granulated Splenda)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine flour, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Add softened Butter.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, vanilla, and egg white in a separate bowl.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be soft).
- Sprinkle with dried currants. With floured hands, knead 4 times or just until the currants are incorporated.
- Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with PAM. Cut dough into 12 wedges.
- Brush 2 teaspoons of milk over the surface of the dough with a marinating brush; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 17 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm, or allow to cool to take on the go. Enjoy (with Jam or Butter!)